Semi-annual update: Koko Head Cafe

Uh, wow.  

Has it really been 6 months since my last update?!  

I'm sure most of my readers have migrated their attention to my Instagram.  I must say that between the period from March until now, A LOT has changed for me and I have attempted to update my blog for a while now but I still question how popular is blogging these days? 

Nonetheless, I've found time during my sick day to share one of my favorite new spots to have brunch in Honolulu.




I may have jumped on the boat too late on this one but this place still is raving all over town. Koko Head Cafe opened last year by brilliant Chef Lee Anne Wong who is heavily experienced in culinary and has been exposed to many cultures, making her dishes a wide range of awesome-fusion.


This is the first thing you see when you enter the restaurant.  Alcohol for breakfast? Why not. 






My boyfriend and I sat right in front of the kitchen where we could watch the cooks prepare all the dishes within all the mayhem of orders after orders.  The restaurant was packed! 


Per recommendation by our waiter, we ordered their Kimchee Bacon Cheddar Scone. Say what?! 


Yes, this was the miracle scone.  Amongst the creamy cheese, crispy bacon was the best balance of richness, spice and a pinch of salt.  Maybe not the best scone to pair with your cup of joe, but definitely a tasty snack.  


For some strange reason my boyfriend loves to order loco mocos at ANY breakfast/brunch place we go to.  He says that it's a "safe" choice because they can never go wrong with a meat patty, gravy and sunny side up eggs.  Well, they can't go wrong but Koko Head did perfection. 

The dish is not only just the meat patty, gravy and eggs.  In fact, the patty is Maui Cattle Co. beef and the gravy has mushroom in it topped over GARLIC RICE and a delicious side of tempura kimchi.  Needless to say this was the best "loco mock" my boyfriend has ever had.



I had the Donburi Chen which was Miso smoked pork, five spice pork belly on top sushi rice.  This dish is so me with the elements of Japan with the house-made pickles and sushi rice and then the Philippines with the fresh chicharron.  The French scrambled eggs for well . . . my love for the French language. :)  There's something about juicy flavory pork that makes me miss my mother's cooking and this definitely got me in the feels.


Koko Head Cafe
Location: 1145C 12th Ave., Honolulu, HI (Kaimuki)
Price: $15-20 per person.
Advice/Recommendation: There's usually a long wait but it's worth it! Don't forget to try the kimchee scone :)



Phew.


It's been so long since I've blogged that I feel so rusty.  Yet writing this post seemed to flow out naturally as if it were inside of me just waiting to get out there.  I must say that I've missed doing these posts and I definitely miss doing makeup reviews!  




Popular Posts