recette du jour: Mocha (or Matcha) Roll Cake



Ever since moving in with my boyfriend, I've found more opportunity to cook and bake.  I like to use my "recette du jour" posts as my own recipe book that I look back for reference even though I only have a few entries. 

I am really more of a baking person.  My mom was really good at preparing Japanese dishes and my father really good at preparing Filipino and American dishes. But neither of them knew anything about baking, have never touched a hand mixer and had no idea what a meringue was.  I started to bake when I was in high school.  My aunt, who was from Canada, was the best baker I knew and my parents were amazed by her desserts and that's when I decided I wanted to make dishes that my parents couldn't but enjoyed.  

 Mocha (or Matcha) Roll Cake

Ingredients needed: 
  • 4 eggs (divide eggs into whites and yolks)
  • 2 x 3.5 tbsp of granulated sugar (one for meringue and the other for batter)
  • 1/3 cup of cake flour or all-purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp matcha powder or instant coffee powder
  • 120 ml whip cream
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 125g anko (Japanese red bean paste) 
  • 2 tbsp powdered sugar (or desired amount)


The reason why I say you can use either mocha or matcha for this recipe is that either way (well, for my case) the cake turns out brown.  I know I should perfect the recipe before I post it but either way they both taste good.  If anything, you guys can try adding more matcha powder. :P


Go ahead and start sifting the cake flour and matcha together. Repeat 3x.




  1. Divide eggs in two bowls: whites in smaller bowl, yolks in larger bowl
  2. Use handmixer to scramble eggs yolks
  3. Add in 3.5 tbsp of sugar to the eggs yolks and mix on low until creamy
  4. Add in sifted flour and matcha and mix on high until creamy again




  1. For the meringue, mix egg whites and half of the remaining 3.5 tbsp of sugar until foamy and then add the rest of the sugar
  2. Mix on high until the meringue starts building peaks as shown in the right picture
HALFWAY THERE! 




Add 1/3 of meringue into the egg yolk batter and use an egg beater to mix.  Add the rest of the meringue and 2 steps and mix the batter for a good . . . 3 mins? I just use my judgement to see if the batter is fully blended together.


Line a baking sheet into a 10 x 14 inch baking pan and pour the batter carefully into the pan.  I usually just use a spatula to even out the batter.  Don't need those fancy baking tools, honestly.  


Even out and take out the air bubbles by lifting the pan slightly in the air and dropping it on the kitchen table.  This will probably irritate the people around you (if the handmixer did not already) but it is crucial that you take as many air bubbles out.  Look at this sort-of-disturbing before and after picture. 

Bake at 340 degrees Farenheit for 25 mins and make sure to rotate the pan halfway to evenly bake. 


While that bakes, start mixing the whipping cream with a tablespoon of sugar on high until deliciously creamy.  Add in anko little by little while you mix it into the cream.  Also a really good tip is to pre-cool the mixing bowl in the freezer before you even make the cream.  This will help your cream from melting.  



Once the cake is done baking, remove pan from oven (make sure you have oven mitts on!)  and cover it aluminum foil to let it lock in moisture while it cools down.  

After it cools down, remove foil and turn the cake over on to a sheeted surface and carefully remove the baking sheet.  This side will be on the outside of the cake so it should look presentable. 


Flip over to the side that won't be exposed and cut off half an inch of the cake from one end of the cake.  This will be the butt end of your cake when you roll it.  


Spread on the yummy whipped cream and leave some empty room near the edge that you just cut off or else the cream will start spewing out.  



Okay, so either way the cake I made had cream spewing out but no worries.  Just wipe off the cream or lick it off. jk kinda.  


Sprinkle and sift powdered sugar on top and you're all done! 




I was an idiot and did not take a picture of the Matcha Roll Cake after it was cut because I was too excited to just eat it.  But here is the Mocha Roll Cake that I made the other week for a friend's birthday.  Doesn't that look pretty darn delicious considering how easy it is to make?! Hope everyone has a chance to make it.  :)

I will be having a hosted giveaway very soon so stick around for that.  :D


Follow on Bloglovin
CLICK SHIRTLESS WOMAN TO FOLLOW ME!







Popular Posts